Do you have an event you would like to add to our calendar? Fill out our Event Submission Form
- This event has passed.
Demystifying Biotech Investing
May 23 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Join Alabama Venture Club (previously the Birmingham Venture Club) as we dive into learning more about BioHealth Investing.
Alabama Venture Club is partnering with Prosper HealthTech Accelerator to give AVC members a first glance into Prosper’s most recent cohort of healthcare focused startups.
Join us from 4:00-5:00pm to hear from each Prosper startup as they present their 7 minute pitch. All companies presenting are actively raising and looking to stay local!
Then, from 5:00-6:00pm, join us for a biotech investment overview. Abi Kulshreshtha, PhD, Chief of Staff with Southern Research, will provide a general summary of the regulatory processes for biomedical devices and therapeutics. Then, Rachel Lane, PhD, CEO of BIO Alabama, will moderate an expert panel exploring the nuances of bio and healthcare investment. Join us as we seek to clarify this sometimes-confusing process to help you feel more confident engaging with local biotech companies.
Topics of discussion will include:
- Helping an educated, but not biotech focused audience understand the risks, hurdles, and technical nuances of biotech startups?
- How should we think differently about diagnostics vs therapeutics? What do those even mean?!!
- How can new investors approach thinking about investing in BioTech?
- What are common causes of failure in BioTech startups?
- How big of a factor is the FDA in the journey of a startup in this space? Is the red tape as bad as we imagine?
- What resources do entrepreneurs in this space have in AL?
The event will wrap up with a happy hour/networking gathering at 6pm!